Easy Planning: How to Plan that Epic Trip
Love planning trips? Hate it? Either, or … I’ve got you covered! This 3-step trip planning process is EASY but thorough, with YOU and your trip guiding the entire process. It starts by helping you to DEFINE the travel experience you want – and then helping you to make it happen.
Most trip planning processes out there are too cookie-cutter. They just don’t fit every scenario. How do you plan a trip when you know your travel companions but not the destination? Or you know the destination but not when? Should you plan a trip differently, based on what you know and don’t know?
Below you’ll find an easy 3-step trip planning process that’s flexible for every scenario. Skim for the highlights, or print off the companion fillable PDFs and work through the process in depth.
The #1 most important question in the entire trip planning process is this: When you’re back at home, what will make you say, “Now THAT was a fantastic trip”?
EASY 3-Step Trip Planning Process
This easy 3-step trip planning process centers around YOU. Your style. Your goal. Your vision. Then it uses that vision as the compass to guide all your trip planning decisions.
Start planning your trip by defining the compass that will guide your decisions:
- Identify your goal. What will make this a fantastic trip?
- Prioritize your constraints. Time, money or activities?
- Clarify what you know. Where, when or who?
- Understand your default travel style. Preferences, vacation rhythm and physical limitations.
Typical steps, but purposefully in a different order than most planning processes:
- Read up on your destination, highlighting and ranking as you go;
- Map out your interests to see a natural itinerary emerge;
- Pick a place to stay you’ll want to go back to;
- Book the critical pieces of your trip, including must-do activities; and,
- Deep breath … when it’s fun again, fill in the gaps.
Get out the door … leisurely and with your vision of that perfect experience still intact. Here’s your ultimate countdown checklist:
- 3 MONTHS before you leave
- 1 MONTH before you leave
- 1 WEEK before you leave
- 1 DAY before you leave
- MORNING OF the day you leave
- LONGER THAN 1 MONTH trip adjustments
Remember to SHARE these tips and tools with your TRAVEL COMPANIONS!